• November 8Career day is scheduled for Saturday Nov. 18th

• November 8Christmas Bazaar on Dec. 2nd

• November 8Lantern Parade on Nov. 9

The Student News Site of German International School

The Lens

Filed under Opinion

Dress code: the discussion continues

Implementing a dress code at our school has been a topic of discussion for the past few years. The purpose of a dress code is to foster a learning-friendly environment  and prevent focus on clothing from becoming a distraction for students. But who decides what is appropriate or “distracting” and what is not? Leggings have become an increasingly controversial clothing accessory and seem to be one of the main reasons for implementing a dress code. As summer approaches, parent’s concern over what girls wear to school increases and implementing a dress code seems to be the perfect solution. “Spandex-like” garments have been listed as revealing and even sexually provocative and the fact that school administrators view girls’ athletic wear as “sexually provocative” is highly disconcerting. This sends a harmful message to young women and implies that we are just an object distracting male students. Instead of deciding what girls are allowed to wear, we should teach male students not to sexualize normal female body parts. If the school decides to implement a dress code, it should be applied equally among male and female students.

“When I was in Grade 9 [in the 70s], girls weren’t allowed to wear pants – at all,” she said. “When I was in Grade 10, we could wear pants, but not jeans. And it wasn’t until I was in Grade 11 that girls were allowed to wear jeans. And of course all this time, the boys had been wearing jeans.” -Susan Rodger

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Dress code: the discussion continues”

1. Curtis A Gray on April 25th, 2017 3:22 pm

Dear Writer,
    I enjoyed reading your piece about the dress code at our school. I agree with the opinion that male and female dress codes should be equal. However I find it unfair that you imply that all male students are sexualizing this female sports attire. Most of my friends and I do not find this style of clothing to be sexually distracting. I do, on the other hand, think that individuals who make comments should be taken aside by a teacher and taught why what they said was offensive.I would love to hear your point of view.
    Sincerely, Curtis

P.s.: Who is Susan Rodger?

[Reply]

lhegarty Reply:

Thanks for your comment, Curtis!
    The piece was written by a former member of the Journalism AG, so I can not tell you about her point of view.
    I looked up the quote at the end of the article; it belongs to an article on
    Canadian newssite globalnews.ca. Susan Rodgers was a former student of Ontario High School and was interviewed for the article along other former or recent students.

I hope I could help!

Julian

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.