• June 7Bundesjugendspiele on Friday, June 16th

• June 7Summer Bash: 5th - 7th grade: 4pm - 6pm; 8th grade and up: 6pm - 8pm

• June 7Summer Bash on Friday, June 16th

The Student News Site of German International School

The Lens

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Editorial: Not in my School!

Let me ask you, did or do you ever have bullying problems at your school? Yes? Well, so do I.

I would like to give you my opinion on bullying at my school, and a few suggestions on how we could better our school’s social environment.

I go to a very small school. We only have roughly 400 students and around 100 teachers and staff members. Normally, one would think that at a small school everyone is able to get along, which means there is less bullying. Wrong. Even at a small school, you can still find yourself in the company of people who bother you. This leads to students forming little cliques that are either nice… or not. Furthermore, there are some students left out. With all this social drama going on, it is very easy for bullying to commence.

This social drama bleeds into after-school hours due to the easy access most of us have to technology. Since technology is so widespread, once the bell rings, people can just hop on their computers or phones and write everything they want behind the anonymity of a screen.

Bullying has evolved from simply physical harm to more traumatic forms such as verbal and cyber bullying.

I believe a new structure is necessary, so problems can be efficiently resolved. To begin with, all of our teachers should qualify as “Vertrauenslehrer” because then students can come forward to the teacher with whom they’re most comfortable.

In addition, our school should involve the psychologist more in these conflicts. This professional could talk to the instigator and could figure out what his or her motives are. For example, the bullies themselves might feel they are being bullied, or there may be a troubling situation at home. The psychologist would also be a good bridge between all parties because he or she has insight into human emotions and interactions.

I hope that these suggestions are well-received, and that they are not viewed as criticism, but rather as an effort to improve our richly diverse school community.