• November 8Career day is scheduled for Saturday Nov. 18th

• November 8Christmas Bazaar on Dec. 2nd

• November 8Lantern Parade on Nov. 9

The Student News Site of German International School

The Lens

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Editorial: Not in my School!

Let me ask you, did or do you ever have bullying problems at your school? Yes? Well, so do I.

I would like to give you my opinion on bullying at my school, and a few suggestions on how we could better our school’s social environment.

I go to a very small school. We only have roughly 400 students and around 100 teachers and staff members. Normally, one would think that at a small school everyone is able to get along, which means there is less bullying. Wrong. Even at a small school, you can still find yourself in the company of people who bother you. This leads to students forming little cliques that are either nice… or not. Furthermore, there are some students left out. With all this social drama going on, it is very easy for bullying to commence.

This social drama bleeds into after-school hours due to the easy access most of us have to technology. Since technology is so widespread, once the bell rings, people can just hop on their computers or phones and write everything they want behind the anonymity of a screen.

Bullying has evolved from simply physical harm to more traumatic forms such as verbal and cyber bullying.

I believe a new structure is necessary, so problems can be efficiently resolved. To begin with, all of our teachers should qualify as “Vertrauenslehrer” because then students can come forward to the teacher with whom they’re most comfortable.

In addition, our school should involve the psychologist more in these conflicts. This professional could talk to the instigator and could figure out what his or her motives are. For example, the bullies themselves might feel they are being bullied, or there may be a troubling situation at home. The psychologist would also be a good bridge between all parties because he or she has insight into human emotions and interactions.

I hope that these suggestions are well-received, and that they are not viewed as criticism, but rather as an effort to improve our richly diverse school community. 

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Editorial: Not in my School!”

1. Junior Journalism AG on September 26th, 2017 3:33 pm

This article is interesting, and we agree with most of the points made. There is not so much bullying in our school , but we agree with the author that if there is a case of bullying, students should be able to go to whichever teacher they feel most comfortable with. Many students already do this.
    Regarding the school psychologist, we feel that she should work with the teacher who knows what occured, since that teacher sees the students every day and in different situations. The student who feels bullied can then have someone who can help explain what happend to the psychologist, who will have more information and be better able to help resolve the problem.

[Reply]

2. Being Bullied on November 14th, 2017 4:04 pm

I think, this article is very interesting.
    I have seen people being bullied at this school a couple of times, and have had enough of it.
    I’m also wondering where the phsychologist is,
    Because then I feel safer, and I don’t to feel the kids bein unsafe at school. There has been a problem that a kid was so scared of the bullies he didn’t even want to go yo school!!!
    We should have more people around to help, so we stay a good and peaceful school.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.